Are You Lacking Life Purpose but Not Sure What Your Dream Is?
Have you ever felt like you were absent on the day God handed out dreams? You watch as others confidently live out their purpose, and the little green envy monsters creep up in your heart. You want what they have. Not necessarily the same dream, but the passion they have for their calling and the fulfillment you see in their life. But, here you are, stuck in a dead end job or a lifeless career not knowing what your purpose is. That is exactly where I found myself over 10 years ago. My successful career felt dull, boring and I had no passion or excitement for what I was doing. It seemed meaningless to me. I wasn’t willing to settle for it, and I set out on a journey to find the dream God planted in my heart.
“For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
What is a Dream?
A dream is a strongly desired goal or purpose. It is closely tied with feelings of hope and possibility. It seems to bring meaning and fulfillment to a person’s life. Some dreams are centered around a natural talent or skill one possesses. Other times they are birthed out of being a victim of injustice that leads to compassion for others suffering in a similar way. However, most dreams are realized through life experience, self- awareness, seeking God, talking with community, and trying different things. For the majority, it is a process of becoming. We must intentionally seek out and discover our dreams. But how?
Discovering Your Dream Action Plan
There are two key steps to discovering your God given dream and life’s purpose. You cannot do one without the other. They are interdependent. These are the steps I have taken too! It has been a journey well worth the effort.
Understanding Who You Are in Christ
1. The first step is understanding who you are in Christ. Without this, one cannot fully reach his/her potential because it is God who created the masterpiece called YOU! He knit you together in your mother’s womb (Psalm 139:13) and He knows every detail about you including the number of hairs on your head! You were made on purpose for a purpose!
“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” Ephesians 2:10
Getting to Know Yourself
2. The second step is spending time getting to know yourself. There are various reasons why a person doesn’t know herself. Maybe a parent told you who you had to be, or there was pressure to perform at things you didn’t like. Maybe the consequences of sin kept you bound up or the fear of following your heart was too scary. I grew up in a very chaotic environment that was all about survival. When you’re trying to survive there is little time to contemplate likes, dislikes, talents, gifts, and identity. I had to take a step backward before I could go forward. If this is you, here are a few recommendations that helped me get to know myself:
- Take a personality test like Myers Briggs.
- Take a spiritual gifts test.
- Take a job aptitude test.
- Meet with an old friend that knows you well and ask her what gifts/talents she sees in you.
- Continually be involved in a Bible Study. I can’t emphasize this enough…God teaches and instructs me here the most!
- Volunteer for a charity or mission trip. While these activities serve others, it seems God uses them to teach us about ourselves too.
- Hire a life coach.
- Read books like- The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren
- Find a mentor who has gone through a similar process.
- Journal. Download the FREE Discovering Your Dream Journal (see below)!
- Pray, pray and pray some more!
It Takes Courage to Discover & Follow Your Dreams
The Bible tells us that there is life and joy when we pursue our God given dreams. Don’t worry if you don’t know what your dream is yet. It’s never too late. I didn’t discover my dream/purpose until I was in my late 30’s, and I can testify that my life has changed. It hasn’t always been easy, but understanding who I am and how God made me has been amazing and freeing!
“Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when dreams come true, there is life and joy.” Proverbs 13:12
FREE Discovering Your Dream Journal!
Do you want to live to your potential and experience a fulfilled life? START HERE with a FREE copy of the Discovering Your Dreams Journal! I created this as a starting point for self-reflection and self-evaluation. It is a self-guided journal with prompts to get your wheels turning on how to ignite hope, vision and purpose. You don’t have to continue living a meaningless life that can lead to depression, anxiety and hopelessness.
“Life without purpose is pointless.” Pastor Tony Evans
In closing, if you don’t know your dream, it is time to discover it! Click HERE to subscribe to Chickening IN Courage Community and get your FREE Discovering Your Dream Journal today!
Chicken IN today and discover your dream!
Pillar #8 Pursue Your Dreams