The Inner Battle with “What-If”
Most of us will struggle with “What-If.” She is like a thief trying to rob you and me of faith and hope. Her goal is to make a claim in the human heart by whispering lies that feed our deepest fears. More than anything, she wants things to remain the same and she will scare us into complacency. “What-If” is no respecter of persons and her lies are clever…she knows just what to say to keep us from moving forward in our lives. You might be familiar with some of them:
- What if I fail?
- What if I am not good enough or smart enough?
- What if I am just a dreamer and my dreams are too big to be fulfilled?
- What if they reject my ideas and I look like a fool?
- What if no one believes in me and I am all alone?
“What-If” Doesn’t Want Change
“What-If” craves safety and sameness. Walking in faith is too uncertain for her. She loves her comfort zone! Left unattended, she can cause us to refuse to change. And when a we refuse to change…”What-If” wins and her presence in our heart grows stronger.
When “What-If” Wins…You and I Lose
When you and I submit to “What-If” we lose. By buying into her lies and giving into fear we cut God out of our life. Instead of walking a life of faith…we get no growth, no healing, no adventure and possibly loneliness and depression.
Taking Control of “What-IF”
In the scriptures we are reminded that, “God did not give us a spirit of fear or timidity” (2 Timothy 1:7). In addition, we are instructed to take our false thoughts captive and view them in light of God’s truth (2 Corinthians 10:5). “What-If” lies to us all the time…but what if we take “her” captive and view “What-If” from another perspective? What if we let God use “What-If” to propel us to greater courage and faith? After all, scripture says that what satan meant for harm God meant for good (Genesis 50:20).
How Can God Use “What-If” for Good?
It is simple, allow the line of questioning to change. Just a slight shift in aligning our perspective with God’s. It would look something like this:
- What if I don’t take this chance and I miss out on God’s will for my life?
- What if I stay complacent and reach the end of my life regretting that I never followed my dreams?
- What if my ideas could have impacted the world and people for good, but I never took the risk?
- What if I live the rest of my life with this pain and I never grow?
- What if I never walk in faith and give God the chance to do only what He can do?
The Choice is Mine and Yours
Today, what will you do with “What-If?” Will you continue to entertain her lies or will you take your thoughts captive, walk in faith and allow God to transform you? God promises to be with you and me. Sure, by the world’s standards we risk failing, looking stupid or making a big mistake, but the alternative is a faithless, hopeless life. When facing “What-If” ask yourself this question, “On my last day here on earth will I regret chickening-out and never having risked this?”
Have courage, my friend, for God says, “I command you, ‘Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:9).
Sincerely with Hugs,